Saturday, January 07, 2012

What it takes to be a politician in Singapore

If I were Lee Hsien Loong I would be scratching my head as to what my fellow politicians will come up with. Well let's wrap up an eventful last few months for Singapore politics.

1) Tin Pei Ling saying "I don't know what to say?" Which makes me wonder whether she uses this phrase when she speaks in Parliament.

2) Seng Han Tong passing a remark that came off as him intepreting that Malays and Indian workers in SMRT have a poorer command of English as compared to the other races in Singapore.

3) Now Grace Fu posted a comment on her Facebook page commenting about the recent pay cut.

Let me make this clear to these people:

I do not expect you to earn peanuts. I believe that politicians are to be paid handsomely and I believe the recent cuts in pay are fair and reasonable. However I would like to point out to these people that Singaporeans just wish for them to be politically correct. Not to pass comments that will infuriate sections of the electorate. Everyone has an opinion about something but you cannot just do something as and when you like if you are in that position.

Let me put this in perspective. Soccer players are paid millions of dollars a year. Many are living the lives that we the common folk could only dream of. Yet we have Zidane, who is carrying the hope of an entire nation, headbutting an opponent in a World Cup final. We have players like John Terry having an extra-marital affair with the wife of his own team mate. In normal circumstances if I were playing soccer with some friends, playing rough with my opponent would not cause a national backlash and having affairs is something that happens in every society. However, if you are in the limelight, please behave yourself. I can get piss drunk on a Friday night and post it on Facebook. What would the world think if the prime minister did the exact same thing? Unable to swallow this fact? Perhaps politics is not the right path for a few of our politicians.

Yours Sincerely,
Daryl Lum
(+65) 9009 8731
visit my website @ www.DarylLum.com
read my blog @ www.DarylLum.blogspot.com